Krystali Rabeni's latest work, A Maze In Grace, in SL opened on June 6th.
I landed at her FAYWND TERRACE, the landing point, which she created under her LOVE brand. It is a lovely build you can rezz and position with the help of a rez faux. It is lovely and elegant with its arches and steps. She has so many wonderful naturistic builds for LOVE. If you weren't sure of them after viewing them on Marketplace, you will be if you teleport down to LEA6 this month.
The landing area is in the middle of her installation. It separates the 2 halves of the maze. The entire sim, except for the landing point is the maze.
|Landing area and surrounding maze @ A Maze In Grace, LEA6|
You should see a sign which you can click to learn about the maze. It says,
A MAZE IN GRACE.
Labyrinths are arguably mankind’s ﬁrst creation borne purely of human imagination. Today, labyrinths and mazes cradle millennia of legend and folklore in their twisted articulations.
Labyrinth and maze imagery has at different periods of time in various parts of the world been associated with all aspects of human life. It has been used as a symbol of fertility and birth, as well as one of purgatory and death. It has religious and meditative importance in Hindu, Christian, Islamic, Buddhist and Shamanic rituals.
The maze you see has no map, just as life has no map. It is not perfect, just as life is not perfect. Take your time as you wander along the watery path through the twists and turns until you reach the center where you will find a celestial labyrinth. Some will take the long path, some will take the short path through the maze but there is no rush, no race, no time, just you and your thoughts.
Keep a watchful eye along your way for 'A maze in Grace' and a solitary koi carp. You may see them, you may not. It all depends on what you want to see.
Many of the attributes of the koi symbolize several lessons and even trials individuals often encounter in life. The koi fish has a powerful and energetic life force, demonstrated by its ability to swim against currents and even travel upstream. Some of the characteristics associated with the koi include:
I wish the above to each and every one of you.
The maze is made up of grass and water. The paths are of water. Before you step into the maze you see a sign that says, "KEEP OFF THE GRASS".
Were you able to find the koi? I have not found it yet. Keep looking and perhaps you will find it.
Krystali's work is a gentle masterpiece. I took the time to ask her some questions.
Besides grace, what do swans symbolize? How many swans are there?
* Symbolism of the swan is closely tied with symbolism of water based on the swan's environment. When observing swans, one finds that they closely connect with water and also nest near the water. Common symbolism of water includes fluidity, intuition, dreaming, emotions and creativity. Therefore, the swan may symbolize a person's dreamier depths, feelings and emotions. For me Second Life is also symbol of this Along side of this idea, observe a swan and you will see that it gracefully glide through the water leaving hardly a ripple behind. Their natural, effortless beauty reminds us to move gently through the currents of life and not fight against them.
There are 220 swans. This occurred by accident which I later found out has a deep and spiritual meaning: The number 220 is a blend of the attributes and vibrations of the numbers 2, 22 and 0. Number 2 resonates with duality and polarity, service to others, faith and trust and intuition, insight, encouragement and your life purpose. The number 2 appears twice, relating it to the Master Number 22 - the number of philanthropy and service to humanity. Number 22 is the number of Archangel Raphael and resonates with vision, practicality and common sense. Number 0 vibrates with the ‘God force’ and Universal Energies and amplifies and magnifies the attributes of the numbers it appears with. Number 0 a message to do with developing one’s spiritual aspects and is considered to represent the beginning of a spiritual journey and highlights the uncertainties that may entail. This number and symbolism walks hand in hand with the meaning of mazes/labyrinths throughout history.
Nice play on the words amazing grace. Were you or are you a religious or spiritual person?
*I'm more spiritual than religious.
Why did you choose the name?
*Grace doesn’t mean only the ability to live a balanced life, it is also being able to be at home in many planes of reality, to see that we are more than we appear to be - we are both physical and spiritual beings. We are souls having a human experience.
What or where did you get the inspiration to build a maze in the water? I think it's an original idea.
* I like to create pieces that cause people to look at things in a different light or from an unusual angle to show that rules can be broken and don't always have to have an adverse affect. Many people avoid water i.e rain and puddles. I'd like to think anyone walking through the water in the maze progresses from being unsure to a gentle calmness to an inner peace.
You are the creator of the LOVE brand, when was it founded? Is LOVE an acronym?
*The LOVE brand was created in August of 2008 and is something I have enjoyed building and it is actually an acronym.
L = Life's
O = Only
V = Valuable
E = Emotion
Will a version of your maze be available to the public under your brand name?
* Yes I think a garden size version and possibly a quarter sim size also.
Maya Angelou passed away very recently, if you had to deliver a eulogy for her what would you say? To so many she symbolized strength, persistence, and passion in life. She will be deeply missed.
* I think all I could say for Maya Angelou would simply be' Thank You'.
Do you have any other art installations in SL or any future ones planned?
* Yes I have an installation called 'Time For Freedom' at the SL11B..Second Life Birthday celebrations and also an installation called 'We Will Still Need Water' at Burn2 Conception.
Krystali is such a talented lady. She owns a store in SL called LOVE Skins & Shapes. You can find her builds and more at marketplace.
Please come and wade through this watery maze and feel the grace all around you. It is now at LEA6 all of this month!
Have fun and enjoy the art!
- Victoria Lenoirre